We’ve already debated whether you should change your relationship status on Facebook at all . If you’ve decided you want to share your good news with the world (well, at least the part of the world you’ve befriended on Facebook), then timing is everything
Here’s our checklist to finding the right time to change your relationship status on Facebook:
- Is it official? Are you sure that you are in a relationship – and that your partner thinks so too?
- Is it going to last? You don’t have to be sure you want to spend the rest of your life in this relationship, but you don’t want to be changing your relationship status back and forth every month either.
- Have you been single for several months? If you (or your partner) have recently broken up with someone, it might be very hurtful to your or his/her ex to see you announce your new relationship too soon.
- Do you want all your Facebook friends to know about your new relationship? If you are friends with any people who have no business knowing about your private life, or with people who might be upset (see above), you should at least adjust your privacy settings to hide the update from them.
- Does your partner want to announce the new relationship status on Facebook, too? They will have to accept your status update anyway, so you might as well discuss it first.
If you answered YES to all of the questions above, then the time might be right to change your relationship status on Facebook!
Be prepared for loads of likes, congratulations and comments wishing you luck with your new relationship. But remember, at the end of the day, what happens in your reationship is between you and your partner – and it’s a lot more than a life event on your timeline!